The metal element of late maturity, of the autumn of our days and the autumn of the year. It helps us assess what we have achieved and assigns to things their true value. Where the Wood element looks forward, Metal looks back. It represents our father, the father who gave us life and also whatever spiritual presence we believe in out there beyond us.
In the body, it controls the organs of the lung and large intestine, ruling over what we take in and what we let go.
Its emotion is grief for all that we have lost and all that we have not achieved.
Common Physical Issues of the Metal Element out of Balance:
- Vulnerability of the lungs and large intestine
- Colds, flu, bronchitis, sinus problems, and asthma
- Skin problems: acne, eczema, psoriasis, and dry skin.
Common Mental, Emotional and Spiritual Issues of the Metal Element out of Balance:
- Excess or lack of grief
- Self-righteous, autocratic
- Difficulty letting go of things
- Feeling lonely / building walls around themselves
Metal Element in Balance:
- Hard workers who enjoy structure and authority
- Very self-disciplined, a self-motivator
- Honourable and well respected.